Free Tax Return Preparation


If you are uncomfortable preparing your taxes yourself and you don’t want to spend money having your taxes prepared, there is a third option.

1. The Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program offers free tax help to individuals making less than $49,000/year.

Certified volunteers receive training to prepare basic tax returns in their community.

Go here to find a VITA site in your community or call 1-800-906-9887.

2. The Tax Counseling for the Elderly (TCE) Program provides free tax help to those age 60 and over.

Go here to locate the nearest AARP Tax-Aide site or call 1-888-227-7669.

3. Military Personnel & their Families receive free tax preparation assistance at offices within their installations.

Items to bring to the VITA/TCE Site

  • Proof of identification
  • Social Security Cards for you, your spouse and dependents and/or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration
  • Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents
  • Proof of foreign status, if applying for an ITIN
  • Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return
  • Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R, from all employers
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available
  • Bank routing numbers and account numbers for Direct Deposit
  • Total paid for daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number)
  • To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms
  • This information is courtesy of

    Comments are closed.